1. How did you and your spouse meet?
I was bartending on the weekends (and nannying during the week). B came in wearing a white t-shirt, jeans, and carrying his motorcycle jacket. He was cute, looked exhausted, ordered food and a few drinks, and tried to talk to me. I was polite, but mainly ignored him. Then he kept coming in, which creeped me out! But then the head bartender, Dawn, told me he was a good guy and he was always asking when I would be working next. So B and I exchanged numbers and never contacted each other. Then one night it was so slow, so I texted him and told him to bring a few friends up to hang out. He did and the boys helped me close down the place. I kissed him on the cheek and walked home (I lived less than a block away from the bar). I think around this time I found out he was a Marine in flight school. Once I gave him a hug, and another time he kissed me when he walked me home. Then I went up to Nebraska for my little brothers college graduation and we texted the entire 4 days I was gone, and he called to say good night to me every night. Two inseparable weeks later I went to Chicago for my baby brothers HS graduation, same thing. That was the last week in May. Second week in June I met his parents when they came to visit, and the rest in history!
2. How old were you when you two met?
He was 24, I was 23
3. How long have you been together?
A year and 7 months, roughly.
4. Where are you and your spouse originally from?
I was born out here, in Laguna Beach, CA but was mainly raised outside of Chicago. B was born and raised in the same county in the DFW area.
5. How did you feel about him joining the military?
He was already in when we met, but I couldn't be prouder of him for his decision!!
6. Where did your spouse go to Basic Training?
Quantico for TBS and OCS
7. Has your spouse ever been deployed?
Nope, but I'm sending him off this spring.
8. Ever been to his promotion ceremony?
No, and I don't think I ever will :( He pinned on 1st LT when we had JUST started dating, and he'll most likely pin on Captain after he deploys.
9. How long have you been a military wife?
Since we got married, just shy of 7 months!
10. Did you marry him before or after he joined?
11. How did your husband propose?
He took me to the Dallas Arboretum and proposed. He had meant to do it at the Dallas Aquarium (I LOVE aquariums), but he said he "couldn't find any where good to do it" so he had to use his back up location. He's so cute!
12. Where did you get married?
At the country club my parents belong to
13. How old were you two when you got married?
We were both 25 (I had turned 25 four days before the wedding)
14. Did he wear his uniform on his wedding day?
15. Where are you and your spouse currently stationed?
16. Do you live on base?
Nope! No desire to, either.
17. How long were you married when you had to go through your first separation?
2 months. But he was just like 4 hours away for 9 weeks, so it wasn't that bad.
18. What is your favorite base so far?
We have lived in Pensacola, and are currently at Pendleton. NAS Pensacola wins by a landslide.
I've also gone to Eglin/Hurlburt AFB in Florida a few times, spent about 6 weeks at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery, Al, and lived off base of Kadena AFB in Okinawa. Of those bases, Kadena is my number one.
19. Do you think your spouse looks good in his uniform?
Oh ya! He had his charlies on yesterday to check in to his new squadron, and I loved it :)
20. Do you think military life is more advanced than civilian life?
Just different. In the same way West coast living is different from Midwest.
21. Do you like the benefits you receive as a military dependent?
Yup-I dug myself in to a little debt paying for health insurance in between college and getting married (past jobs didn't offer health benefits). And damn, it feels good to NOT be paying 350/mo to UnitedHealth.
22. Do you have a lot of military wife friends?
I do :) I am in a military wives bible study and ADORE all the girls!
23. What is the hardest part of the military life?
Time apart. And dealing with people who say things like "I could never be married to someone in the military. It must be so hard" Etc.
24. Do you own military wife stuff?
Nope, just steal my husbands :)
25. Do you support your spouse as a member of the military?
How is this even a real question?? Of course I do!!