2.22.2013

Bread and headbands

Pretty sure today was the most relaxed yet productive day Izy and I have had ever.  Normally she naps from 9-10:30ish, aka when we are at Stroller Strides (which is an intense workout...no power-walking in our group!)  While that's fine, it left me needing to get morning errands and chores done with an awake baby.  And if she is awake, I'd rather be playing with her or talking to her while she is in her swing and I'm doing in-home chores, not toting her from store to store.  Anyways, the past few days she's decided to move her nap to 10:30-1, and then take her afternoon nap from about 3-5.  It's been heaven!!  I know that her nap schedule will change a bunch more, but I'm just super happy with how it's been going this week.

During her morning nap I was able to wash her diapers and laundry, and bake some delicious bread.  Then in the afternoon I worked on some Scentsy stuff (I'm finally actually selling and doing parties, woohoo!) and sewed some stretchy elastic headbands for my little sweetheart.  It only took a few minutes to sew them all, but it was so satisfying to sew again!

Here's the bread recipe, with my changes at the bottom:
Amish White Bread/Sandwich Bread:
2 cups warm water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 packets yeast (not instant) **I use rapid-rise**
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil **I use melted coconut oil**
5 1/2 cups flour

Directions
In large glass bowl dissolve sugar in the warm water and stir in yeast. Allow to proof about 5-10 minutes. (It will look foamy.) Mix in salt and oil to the yeast. Mix in flour 1 cup at a time. When dough has formed a ball, knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth (not stick) about 5-10 minutes.
Wipe down previously-used glass bowl and oil it well. Place dough in bowl and turn to coat surface of dough with the oil. Cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap in a warm area. Allow to rise until it has doubled in bulk.
Knead dough lightly and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into two well oiled 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven for 5 minutes at 350 degrees F, and bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Let bread sit for at least 15-30 minutes after it comes out of oven to finish setting up.


Ok, that is how the website says to make it. Here's what I do: Mix the 1st 3 ingredients in a 2c. measuring cup. Let rise and get foamy and then dump in my stand mixer. Add the salt and (I use) melted coconut oil. Then I add 2 c. flour, mix using the dough hook, add 2 more cups, mix, and then the last cup and a 1/2. Then I grease a large glass bowl with EVOO, add the dough, and let rise till I remember I'm supposed to be baking bread (so like 3 hours). Do a quick kneed in the glass bowl, then grease up a bread pan and add most of the dough (about 2/3 full). With the remaining bit of dough I make rolls and bake them on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise (again, I tend to lose track of time...I just let the dough get fluffy and light). I preheat my over to 350 and bake till it's golden brown (none of the 5 minute nonsense).  Makes amazing sandwich bread!




No comments:

Post a Comment